... Limerick. Since my birthday I've been continuing on the path of figuring out my lifestyle here. I've joined choir, and I'm in the musical, The Wedding Singer. Both are enjoyable so far, but it's very early days. One thing that is noticably different is the speed at which things happen here. Back home, if we were in a rehearsal for a musical, the music director would be on the ball, and if people were talking they would get yelled at or eventually thrown out. But here, everytime there's a lull - everyone starts talking, and it makes things move so, so very slowly. Anyone who knows me well knows that I get very frustrated by things like that, especially if it means having to go over one, one measure harmony about 5 times before everyone gets it. BUT, hopefully as time goes on, things will pick up and people will get more serious. Anyway, I doubt any of you really care about any of that, so I'll stop rambling.
Last weekend, I went to Dublin with my two American friends Elizabeth and Maryrose. It's been one of my favorite weekends so far. We stayed in the same hostel I stayed in during orientation, The Abbey Court Hostel. However, this time we stayed in a 12 person room. There were 6 bunk beds, and we were the only girls.Suffice it to say it was a bizarre experience. The guys were all very friendly... but, still. Anyway, we went to the Guinness factory and I had about 6 sips of a pint of Guinness! Which is a big deal, because I hate anything and everything that has to do with beer. We went on the hop on hop off bus and saw some sights, and then we went back to the hostel to get ready and went on a pub crawl! It was called the Leprechaun Pub Crawl, and you paid 10 euro and then got a free shot at every pub and a reduced price drink. We ended up meeting up with my friend Jen from GW who's studying at Trinity, my friend Catie from Arcadia doing a program in Dublin, and my friend Paul, the garda that we also met during orientation.
I went home the next day to deal with immigration stuff. To make a long story short, I got to immigration at 630 in the morning, and I was out of there at 1230 in the afternoon. I was not a happy camper. Since then, this week has gone pretty smoothly. A bunch of rehearsals, and then last night we went to Cuba for a foam party which was way more enjoyable than it would sound. I've been to foam parties where you're just in a pit of foam and that's disgusting, but they would sporadically make foam fly out at you for a few minutes and then it would stop, so it wasn't as gross. I went with my 2 of my roomies and their friend Colin, and then I ended up seeing my friend Kim there and hung out with her for a while, and then ran into Elizabeth and Maryrose and their friends... so it was a really great night with most of my favorite people in Galway :)
Today I've got 4 classes, and I'm done at 3 pm. Then I'm going home to pack and have some food and then I'm off to Limerick until Sunday! I'm going to stay with my friends from the Arcadia program who came to Galway for my birthday. I can't wait to see them and to see what Limerick has to offer!
I'll try and get better at this updating thing... I promise! Miss and love everyone to peices!
Hi Ania,
ReplyDeleteYour experiences in Ireland sound incredible. Do you get a chance to travel around Ireland a lot?
Would you be interested in guest writing for Pink Pangea (http://www.pinkpangea.com), the first online community for women travelers?
Pink Pangea's goal is to make travel easier, safer, and more fulfilling for women of all ages. We are looking for adventurous and eloquent students who are studying abroad to document their experience, while discussing issues that are relevant to women travelers. It would be great if you could post about your experience in Ireland, providing anecdotes and photos from your time abroad.
I look forward to reading more about your experiences abroad!
Hope to hear from you soon,
Rachel
rachel@pinkpangea.com
http://www.PinkPangea.com